Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dehiscence to Evisceration

What a day. What is the difference between EVISCERATION and DEHISCENCE? Why did I ask?! These two got me confused a while ago. I really got to review my basics.

Status post Removal of Suture. After a few minutes the patient vomits. Then this happened: wound dehiscence that leads to evisceration. I immediately packed the site with wet OS to cover the internal oragans. The bowels coming out its time for emergency re-suturing of the post operative site.

Just Remember:

D - DEHISCENCE - Separation or splitting of layers of a surgical wound.
E - EVISCERATION - Extrusion of viscera, or intestine through a surgical wound.

Mnemonic:

The letter "D" has no opening while the letter "E" has opening.
Remember if there's an opening the contents can escape. "E" for evisceration, Escape, extrusion.
'D' Dehiscence still intact slight opening but nothing is coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment